Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Spending Your Birthday in the ER. My Birthday, K's Concussion

That was 6 hours of fun....

K is fine, CT shows no funky brain bleeds, he get to stay home tomorrow with me. He sure was loopy there for a few hours: "So, did I hit my head?" 'Why does my head hurt?" "Did I fall then?" "Was I on my waveboard?" "Is today Friday?" "I had a dream that I hit my head." And then 5 minutes later, "So, did I hit my head?" "Why does my head hurt?" "Did I fall then?" "Was I on my waveboard?" "Is today Friday?" "I had a dream that I hit my head. Deja vu". Over and over and over.... He forgot it was my birthday (and everytime he remembered, he cried that he had ruined it, until he forgot it again 3 minutes later). He forgot his friends moved away two months ago and kept asking where they were. When asked what day it was by the Triage Nurse, he answered "January". He cried that he couldn't eat or drink. His head and scraped up arm hurt him.... Poor little duck - - I went back and forth between wanting to cuddle him and wanting to laugh as he asked the same questions over and over for 5 hours. Mr. DBL kept getting angry at him for repeating the questions (it scared him) but I kept trying to remind Mr.DBL it was a trauma and to be kind, it would wear off. Teen was just bored out of his skull....

Mr. DBL is the reason we took K in (I would have watched him at home, I expect "loopy" after a bad headfall and K wasn't nausous, didn't have weird vision and his motor skills were fine, just that damned looping of the same infernal questions). But Mr. DBL was nervous about that politician's wife who died 2 days after skiing into a tree in Europe, so I agreed to take K in to rule out a slow bleed.

So my birthday evening was a bit of a bust but I have one of the best presents to show for it: a sore but reasonably healthy 9 year old with a knot on his head and *only* a knot.

Bet that one is going to cost us more than dinner at the steakhouse though!

No comments:

Post a Comment